Dear [title] [last name],
As we work to bring North Carolina through this period of recovery - in public health and economically - it is critical that affordable housing remains a priority in the state budget process. Keeping North Carolinians in their homes is vital to public safety and economic growth in every district of the state.
I am asking you to work with your colleagues in the legislature to include the following priorities in the state appropriations process:
- Appropriate $35 M in recurring funds to the Workforce Housing Loan Program to produce affordable rental housing across the state.
- Appropriate $20 M in recurring funds to the Housing Trust Fund to support affordable housing development across the state.
- Allocate $20 M in federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding to the Neighborhood Revitalization Program at the Department of Commerce to address rural housing needs.
- Appropriate $3 M in recurring funds to match the federal HOME Partnership Program.
- Consider placing a Statewide Affordable Housing Bond on the ballot that is scaled to the affordable housing need in our state.