Dear [title] [last name],
As your constituent, I am writing to ask you to join the Congressional Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Caucus.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, refers to a group of diseases that cause airflow blockage and breathing-related problems. It includes emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and in some cases, asthma. COPD is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Over 15 million Americans annually report a COPD diagnosis.
The COPD Caucus is a bipartisan, bicameral coalition of members who are committed to raising awareness and improving COPD public policy. In response to the caucus’ inquiries and work, the NIH’s National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) collaborated with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other federal partners to create the COPD National Action Plan. Released in 2017, the COPD National Action Plan established five preliminary goals to address COPD in the U.S.:
- Empowering people with COPD, their families, and caregivers to recognize and reduce the burden of COPD
- Improving the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and management of COPD
- Collecting, analyzing, reporting, and disseminating COPD-related public health data
- Increasing and sustaining COPD research
- Translating national policy, educational, and program recommendations into research and public health care actions
The Congressional COPD Caucus is critically important to realizing the goals of the National Action Plan, and I hope you will consider joining to help bring much-needed attention and resources to these prevalent diseases. If you are already a member of the Caucus, THANK YOU!